Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 6- Ring of Kerry, Dingle, Connor Pass

Day 6 was the day we tackled the Ring of Kerry (along with every other tourist in Ireland). It is a 200 kilometer, 2 lane (which in America would be wide enough for only one lane) road with spectacular cliffs, mountains, and green pastures. It is the most popular tourist attraction on the island and there are large tour buses that can hardly fit in one lane. Cayce rode in the bushes quite frequently.



This is the highest peak in Ireland, it is called the Carrontuohill. Driving toward is was a good way to start the day.

This is off the side of Carrontuohill, looking over Dingle Bay. Gorgeous!

On one of our side trips, Cayce suggested that we walk along this rock beach to see if we could get around this point to see the open ocean...boy did she regret this suggestion when Jason made her scale up the side of a dirt wall to get to the vantage point. (This is Cayce, and not only did I make a poor suggestion, I was mainly irritated that I had to wear my purse attached to my body because I was in charge of the Passports. Nice of Jason to take pictures.)

On another hike, we went to the top of another small mountain and had a beautiful 360 degree view of the ocean, Dingle Bay, and other greenery.

From the top of the small mountain...can you find us? Stupid Auto timer on the camera! (This is Cayce, and this picture makes me laugh out loud!)

After we left the Ring of Kerry, we went to a small town called Dingle. Along the way there were pasture lands and mountains in abundance. Cayce has an infatuation with sheep and couldn't believe how many there were and that they climb to the tops of the mountains to graze. They also traveled onto some of the main little roads.


I'll leave this last picture for Cayce to fill in the details:

OK. So, this picture just shows the road (you can see the reflector in the middle indicating there are two lanes). There is not enough room for two cars. On the other side of this rock wall on the left is a steep cliff. We traversed this Connor Pass, as it is named, around 9pm and the fog was setting in. We got to this point in the road, and Jason rearranged his seating position. He was sitting crazy upright, with both hands gripped tightly on the wheel. I felt badly for him but couldn't help but laugh. I am such a mean wife!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh my goodness, that picture of the two of your heads sticking up over the rocks made my day. I am loving all of these pictures and am totally jealous of your trip!!

Austin misses you--keep having fun!
Mary